Background - Strive
Strive is a non-profit dedicated to building character-based leadership skills in young people. At Strive, we believe that "how you lead matters.” We partner with young people and adults across the United States — in schools, community organizations, and athletic departments — to develop character-driven leadership skills and build positive team culture.
With a focus on reaching youth from underserved communities, Strive designs and delivers dynamic, interactive leadership programs across the country. Strive believes, and research proves, that SECD (Social, Emotional, and Character Development) skills are critical to life-long success. It is Strive’s mission to build these skills in the next generation of leaders.
Tower Hill alumna Andrea Trippitelli Valentine '89 is Strive's executive director.
Strive seeks a Development Manager to join the Strive family and coordinate all development responsibilities within our organization. We are searching for a driven, ambitious, forward-thinking leader, who is passionate about the community and has a desire to grow experience and capabilities within the field. This candidate should exemplify strong problem-solving skills, an out-of-the-box thought process, superior organizational skills and a commitment to exercising our organization's core values.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Manager will collaborate with individuals across the organization to build and execute robust fundraising campaigns as well as cultivate current and new donor relationships to meet fundraising goals.
- Maintain and build relationships with current and potential donors, foundations, and corporations; develop system to track outreach, meetings and next steps
- Build and manage annual work plan that aligns with fundraising goals, report monthly and adjust as necessary
- Search for and write grant applications
- Manage successful fundraising campaigns that include all channels (email, social media, print collateral). Below are Strive’s current campaigns - based on organizational needs, this may change:Manage donations section of Strive’s Finance Database
- Fundraising Campaigns: Summer Scholarship Campaign, Virtual 5K, Annual Giving Campaign
- Cultivate a presence in the development/fundraising world, specifically in Delaware; attend networking events
- Serve as point of contact for Board of Directors on all campaigns, providing regular updates as well as coordinating their outreach efforts
We seek to hire individuals who are passionate about leadership and the power of athletics as a source of change and good in a community.
- The candidate should possess a passion for education, particularly in the area of social-emotional learning and leadership/character development
- Proven success in Development, Marketing, Communications, and Project Management related positions
- A Bachelor's degree required and 2+ years work experience
- Teaching and coaching experience a plus
- Ability to multi-task, take direction and take initiative within projects
- Superior communication skills: written, verbal and visual
- Strong decision-making skills through analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement
- Strong ability as a project manager, leading campaigns and projects from start to finish
- Passion for the marketing industry and a solid understanding of different marketing techniques
- A dual-minded approach: highly creative and an excellent written communication skills as well as a process-driven, ability to think in scale, and rely on data to make marketing suggestions and decisions.
- Must have working knowledge in MS Office and Google Platform (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.
- Desire to grow leadership skills, learn and become part of a cohesive team
Bonus experience and skills include:
- Experience developing insightful and creative written and graphic content - specifically, experience with Photoshop
- Experience with HubSpot a plus
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop/InDesign)
- Inbound marketing and SEO exposure
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and Google Adwords a BIG plus
- Basic photography skills or knowledge of video editing tools
- Blogging or Podcast experience
Our Hiring Philosophy
We hire staff who:
- Believe in working hard and working as a team
- Believe that leadership skills can be taught
- View sports as an extraordinary medium for teaching leadership skills as well as other life-lessons
- Possess experience working with young people
- Enjoy the company of the kids with whom we work with and one another
- Believe in self-improvement and continued learning
- Take their responsibilities seriously without taking themselves too seriously
Our Core Values & Principles
Strive upholds the following core values, and expects all employees to do the same.
- Know Thyself - By first practicing self-awareness, we prepare ourselves to be the best possible teammates.
- Fill Tanks - We demonstrate extraordinary passion and unwavering support of teammates.
- Brush It Off and Grow - We foster a culture in which individuals seek out challenges, view mistakes as opportunities to improve and bounce back from setbacks.
- Be Fair and Honest - We do the right thing.
- Choose Laughter - We believe in the value of laughing and having fun. We take our work seriously, but we do not take ourselves too seriously.
- Stick With It - We expect all who are involved with Strive to put in their best effort, particularly knowing that effort lies within our circle of control.
- Find the Best in Yourself so that you can Inspire the Best in Others - In all that we undertake we strive for individual and collective greatness.
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter and a reference (we request a character reference from a coach, professor or job supervisor -- please include their name, relationship, phone number and email) to email@example.com.